Man who aided driver saved by him a few miles later

A Canadian man who had just helped a motorist change a tire in western Wisconsin had his good deed quickly repaid when, just minutes later, that same motorist helped to save his life.

  1. Only on msnbc.com

    1. New poverty indicator, more grim news
    2. If Rome burns, U.S. will feel the heat
    3. It may not be sex that dooms Berlusconi
    4. PhotoBlog: South Dakota's Badlands are rich in culture, rife with poverty
    5. Leave Germany? Live in Germany? It's all Greek to them
    6. Obama rail initiative a 'train to nowhere'?
    7. Downturn takes heavy toll on younger Americans

According to the Wisconsin State Patrol, Victor Giesbrecht, of Winnipeg, was driving Saturday evening on Interstate 94 about 9 miles east of Menomonie when he stopped to help a motorist change a tire.

Patrol Sgt. Michael Newton said that after driving off, Giesbrecht was stricken by a heart attack within a mile or two. His wife, Ann, helped bring their pickup truck to a stop, called 911 and waved her arms for help.

At about the same time, the motorists they had just helped pulled up.

The Star Tribune reported Monday that one of them, Lisa Meier, of Eau Claire, performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on him until emergency personnel arrived.

A state trooper and two Dunn County deputies took over and used an automated external defibrillator to help Giesbrecht regain a pulse and resume breathing.

A medical helicopter took Giesbrecht to Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire. He was in serious condition Monday.

Newton said if Giesbrecht hadn't helped with the tire change, his initial rescuer might have remained stranded for too long to play a life-saving role.

"If he had been a few more miles down the road and had his heart attack, it could have been a different outcome," Newton said. "It's an interesting turn of fate."

He said Giesbrecht had suffered another heart attack about a year earlier.

Newton added that Dunn County having a defibrillator on hand "was the tipping point" in saving Giesbrecht's life. "Without that defibrillator, I don't know that the outcome would've been the same."

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45193354/ns/us_news-wonderful_world/

terrell owens chelsea clinton carrie ann inaba california earthquake california earthquake jenna lyons jenna lyons

Singer Andy Williams Reveals Bladder Cancer Battle

Libya militias taking law into own hands

Many of the fighters that pushed Muammar Qaddafi from power have refused to stand down. Now, some of Libya militias are allegedly stealing and targeting Qaddafi supporters for revenge.

How do you ask a group of armed men if the rumors that they?re a gang of ordinary thieves are true? You begin with a joke.

Skip to next paragraph

?Is it true that you guys stole an elephant from the Tripoli zoo, took it back to Zintan, and mounted an antiaircraft gun on its back??

Mohamed Kor, a stern, bearded commander of the Zintan Brigade, can?t help but chuckle.

?I know we have a bad reputation,? he says in his office in Rigatta, a luxury beachfront compound in West Tripoli, where the fighters from Zintan have taken up residence. ?We get called every day by people who say that fighters from Zintan are stealing. But it?s not true. These are common criminals who abuse the name Zintan because they think it will protect them. As soon as we catch them we will expose them to the world.?

And no, he adds, ?the elephant really wasn?t us.?

Maybe not, but heavily armed militias like Mr. Kor?s are very much the elephant in the room of post-Qaddafi Libya.

The new Libya is dominated by militias like the Zintan Brigade. They participated in the liberation of Tripoli in August and they never left. Now that the fighting is over, most militias won?t give up their guns. Accusations of mafia-style behavior are growing, as are worries that inter-militia fighting could break out before the new Libya is even born.

Saying that the fighters from Zintan, a small town in Libya?s western mountains, have a bad reputation is putting it mildly. The word ?Zintani? has replaced the word ?thief? in Tripoli street slang.

They are far from the only armed group around.? On Sunday, Oct. 30, a firefight broke out between fighters from Zintan and Misurata; a Zintani was killed. Zintan fighters then followed an ambulance carrying a wounded Misurati, seeking to execute the man in revenge. That didn?t happen, but on Monday another firefight broke out outside the hospital, wounding four.

That same day, a small demonstration in Tripoli?s Martyrs? Square protested against the continued presence of heavily armed fighters in the capital. Growing numbers of ordinary citizens fail to see why fighters should still be tearing around in pickup trucks with antiaircraft guns mounted in the back.

The battle-hardened fighters from Misurata have, if anything, the worst reputation of the lot.

Few cities in Libya suffered as much during the war as the western coastal town of Misurata, where more than 1,000 people were killed during a months-long siege by Muammar Qaddafi?s troops.

As a result, Misurata?s fighters feel they are accountable to no one, not even the country?s interim government.

They say they?ve earned the right to do what they like, and are showing some disturbing tendencies distinctly at odds with the pro-democracy aspirations voiced by Libyans, who have already paid dearly for Mr. Qaddafi?s overthrow.

For instance, the men from Misurata have unilaterally declared that the inhabitants of Tawargha, a mostly black neighboring city where many people stayed loyal to Qaddafi, will not be allowed to return. Fighters from Misurata have chased the residents of Tawargha all over Libya, arresting them in refugee camps and jailing them in Misurata. Last week, they began burning houses in Tawargha to make sure that nobody returns.

Source: http://rss.csmonitor.com/~r/feeds/csm/~3/O3T9rZtBKKY/Libya-militias-taking-law-into-own-hands

saints tim hightower tim hightower waldorf school waldorf school new orleans saints world series game 4

Mom says Kim Kardashian 'heartbroken' over divorce (AP)

NEW YORK ? Kim Kardashian is "heartbroken" over her decision to divorce professional basketball player Kris Humphries after only two months of marriage, but life will go on, her mother says.

"Just because somebody is getting a divorce doesn't mean life is over," mom Kris Jenner said. "She's not the first person to get a divorce, and she won't be the last, no matter what the length of the marriage."

Jenner, who divorced Kardashian's father, O.J. Simpson's attorney Robert Kardashian, in the early 1990s and is married to former Olympic decathlon gold medalist Bruce Jenner, said reports her reality TV star daughter's relationship was made for TV are false.

"That would be insulting to this wonderful viewership that has followed us from Day 1," she said. "I don't think any of us are in that kind of situation where we have to go out and ... create opportunities to make more money. I think we are just fine."

She also said the family members won't stop sharing their lives with the public.

"(The breakup) doesn't mean that the rest of us are going to change our personalities in any way and, you know, completely turn into different people," she said Thursday. "We're going to carry on and hopefully be much stronger as human beings and as a family."

After Kardashian, 31, filed for divorce earlier this week, citing irreconcilable differences, she left for a business trip to Australia with her sister Khloe Kardashian.

Jenner said it was important for Kim Kardashian to follow through on her business commitment.

"She takes a great deal of pride in her business relationships, and she's let a lot of people down, especially her family, she feels, on a personal level," Jenner said. "So, for her to let anyone else down is hard for her. She wanted to go, and these commitments were made months and months ago and something that she feels responsible for."

Kardashian made it to Australia on Tuesday but ended up cutting the trip short.

Jenner, meanwhile, had planned to make the media rounds this week in New York City to promote her new memoir, "Kris Jenner ... and All Things Kardashian."

Kardashian's decision to split from her husband after just 72 days moved the attention off her mother's book and onto her.

Jenner said Kardashian needs to weather the storm.

"Right now, the best advice I can give her is to just keep your head held high and ... get her heart in the right place," Jenner said. "That's all I care about."

Jenner said she hadn't spoken with Humphries about the split and didn't know if her daughter had, either.

___

Online:

http://kimkardashian.celebuzz.com/

http://krisjenner.celebuzz.com/

___

Alicia Rancilio covers entertainment for The Associated Press. Follow her at http://www.twitter.com/aliciar

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/tv/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111104/ap_en_tv/us_people_kris_jenner

noreaster steve miller band boston weather kara dioguardi thomas kinkade the shining stanford

Photos: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson And Taylor Lautner Hand And Footprint Ceremony

Michael Jordan of MMA? Jones featured in Rolling Stone

Michael Jordan of MMA? Jones featured in Rolling Stone

Jon Jones' excellent year continued to play on a high note with his inclusion on the Rolling Stone Hot List. Jones was recognized by the magazine for being a young star, and MMA's possible Michael Jordan. Jones was called that by former WEC champ Urijah Faber, and UFC president Dana White agreed.

"He could be one of the best ever," says UFC president Dana White. "But when a guy becomes famous, all these parasites start to cling to you, and it can [expletive] up your head. If he can avoid that, the sky's the limit."

This is the second times Jones has been spotlit in a major magazine this year. He was also in a spread for ESPN the Magazine's "Body Issue," which features nude or partially nude athletes. Add that to winning and defending the UFC light heavyweight belt, and 2011 has been good to "Bones."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Michael-Jordan-of-MMA-Jones-featured-in-Rolling?urn=mma-wp8958

richard simmons war of 1812 war of 1812 jeffrey eugenides jeffrey eugenides volcker rule matthew stafford

Jon Stewart answers Trump's racism charge (Reuters)

NEW YORK (TheWrap.com) ? Jon Stewart says he's hurt by Donald Trump accusing him of a "very, very racist rant" -- especially given Trump's self-described "great relationship with the blacks."

Trump took to YouTube this week to criticize Stewart after a segment in which he made fun of Herman Cain's response to sexual harassment allegations. At one point he did a voice that Trump took to be Stewart's impersonation of Cain.

"Okay this hurts me on two levels. One, does Donald Trump really think that was my Herman Cain impression?" Stewart asked on Wednesday night's "Daily Show." "And two, doesn't Donald Trump realize that that wasn't even the most offensive accent I did in that particular bit?"

He was referring to another joke about pizza-related sexual innuendoes, in which he said in an Italian accent, "You want sausage on your pie?" Cain is the former CEO of Godfather's Pizza.

In a segment Monday, Stewart mocked Cain's response to the harassment allegations, first raised in a Politico article over the weekend. It said the National Restaurant Association paid two former staffers who accused him of inappropriate remarks when he was the organization's president.

Asked by Fox News if he had ever had to pay anyone to resolve harassment claims, Cain responded, "outside of the Restaurant Association, absolutely not." Stewart said that was like saying you had never kidnapped anyone, "other than the Lindbergh boy," using a voice that Trump interpreted as a racist Cain impression.

Stewart said he was especially hurt because Trump is in a great position to criticize him, given Trump's past assertion in a radio interview that "I have a great relationship with the blacks."

Stewart has been criticized before for performing ethnic accents, but shows no signs of quitting. He performed a stereotypically Jewish voice during Wednesday's segment.

He also gave Trump credit for not being like Ann Coulter, the conservative commentator who said "our blacks are so much better than their blacks."

"Even I'm offended by that, and I'm a racist," Stewart joked.

You can watch the video here: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/jon-stewart-answers-donald-trump-racism-claim-takes-ann-coulter-video-32438

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/celebrity/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20111103/people_nm/us_jonstewart

edgar cayce hes just not that into you hes just not that into you eagle rock music festival eagle rock music festival arbor apple crisp recipe